Well over the last several weeks I have transformed my backyard into a usable space where some veges already starting to flourish. Over these weeks I have moved from being able to identify the very basic of practical needs , such as needing more space and saving money, to realising what the more deep and meaningful needs are when gardening. The biggest for me is how much this has helped create more opportunities for communication between myself and my partner. He has always been a very active and passionate gardener and has been sowing his own seeds and growing a large variety of vegetables for a few years now. Before taking up this task I have always been very bored listening to him get excited about his plants. (Mean of me I know!) But now that I have actually taken the time to do this with him I am beginning to appreciate where he gets his enthusiasm. This has opened up huge communication opportunities between us; I now pay attention to why we are at yet another garden shop and I am just as eager to find what we need as he is, we now discuss how much we need something before we buy it and can weigh up the pro's and con's of each product whereas before it was him doing most of the looking with me having a very much "whatever you want"/"get me out of here" kind of attitude.
This occupation has also allowed me to do something much more physical than studying away at my computer. It has encouraged me to get out and do more physical activity now that the weather is allowing me to do so. It has given me an outlet to spend some energy that I never realised I had and has allowed me to to fulfil my needs of being healthy in such a stressful environment (study). By being active I am much calmer and relaxed after being out in the garden as it gives me something to do with my body and feel like I am "real". This has kept me healthy even though I am quite stressed. It gets my heart pumping which keeps it healthy.
Gardening is also defined as a labour component of occupation. According to Green (1968) labour is the gathering of nourishment, a necessary yet endless task. By building this garden I am providing myself with the means to grow healthy foods that will provide myself and my partner with nourishment as essential need of life.
Ambiance:
Ambiance is defined by Reed & Sanderson (1999) as "Ambiance applies to the atmosphere of the surroundings, their mood, or tone" (p.160). I have applied this to gardening by taking in my surroundings and especially my mood to try while carrying out this activity. I think I would have to say that at the beginning the ambiance was not too pleasant. My surroundings consisted of rubble, dirt and corrugated iron (not too inspiring), and my mood was not much better as I am terrified of spiders and I seemed to be coming across them everywhere! These combined created quite a negative ambiance for me in the beginning and I needed to really pull from within myself to keep going. I have found though as I have gone on that this has changing and I think that is highly attributed to the surroundings. Now that I am slowly seeing some changes (for the good) I am able to get more out of being there and know that I am doing something good for the garden. My mood has changed along with this also in that now that I can see an end I feel much better about spending my time doing it.
References:
Green, T. (1968). Work, Leisure, and the American Schools. New York:, Random House
Reed, K. L., & Sanderson, S. N. (1999). Concept of occupational therapy (4th ed., pp. 160-161). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
No comments:
Post a Comment