Many activities contain properties (affordances) that give a participant the potential to lead on to further activities. For example when I was in the process of getting organised this morning by putting my shoes on I was providing myself with the opportunity to put out the wheelie bin and attend classes. Both of these activities would not have been nearly as accessible to me if I had not put on my shoes for one I wouldn't go near the ground around my wheelie bin even in my socks and I would look a bit silly in bare feet in classes when the school has not heating!
There were three parts to affordances that we looked at in class
Communication: How does gardening create potential use of communication?
My new flatmate for next year is a very keen gardener particularly vegetable garden. This has created a common ground for us to talk about as we are both planning on using the garden throughout the year so we have had a good deal of discussion around how it should be planned out so we can make the best use of space. We also spend time together doing the work so we are often chatting away and often about important things so we often get more and more sorted for flatting next year as we go. It also creates communication between shop assistants when I am out looking for new bits and pieces or ideas. I know as a sales assistant myself I really enjoy being able to help people in a predicament so I feel good knowing I am letting them (who are usually quite passionate about gardening) pass on their advice to me. It creates conversation starters when I have to duck to the supermarket to get lunch for myself and my helpers covered in mud and bump in to people I know or people in the queue.
Moral Properties: Knowing right from wrong?
This one is a little hard for me to distinguish. How morally wrong can making a vegetable garden be? I guess I do feel a sense of pride when I think about the bigger picture of the environment and global warming, the possibility that I may actually doing some small favour for the earth by looking after and using my small patch of land its full potential. When I think about how the alternative for this patch of land would have been to become a parking space, no doubt one made from some not so reusable materials, I realise that I may actually be doing some good deed for the environment. This idea makes me feel good about my decision so I guess in this way I am adhering to my personal morals.
Action Properties: What other activities does this create for me?
Well the first and probably most obvious ones would be that of cooking and eating! What I can't wait for. Fresh vegetables quite literally within arm’s reach. I will no longer have a small list of ingredients in my fridge and cupboard that I have to try and find some way to create an edible meal out of. I will have a back garden full of fresh vege's for endless recipes of summer salads, soups or accompaniments to winter roasts. My love for cooking will resurface and I will be able to enjoy creating new things to cook and enjoy with my flatmate. It also gives me the chance to shop! I can go to the numerous hardware stores and actually have something to look and buy for example new tools, seedlings and seed’s. It gives me yet another excuse to spend money that I don't have while creating something for me to be interested in and spend time doing throughout the year. As gardening can also be classified as labour in that labour is "the gathering of nourishment, however, is not only necessary; it is also endless. Once done, it must be done again" (Green ,1968). This is relevant to action properties as the activity itself creates more opportunities by being an activity that requires endless attention through weeding and watering etc.
Reference:
Green, T. (1968). Work, Leisure, and the American Schools. New York:, Random House.
Reference:
Green, T. (1968). Work, Leisure, and the American Schools. New York:, Random House.
Hi Rebecca, when thinking about moral properties, have you considered the ethics of how you garden? For example what fertilisers you use - harsh or gentle on life around them? Are you using plants that will fruit once then die or will they continue to give seeds? Are you buying local seedlings or have they been shipped in using fuel from the North Island? Will you give your food away or eat it yourself? Will you use Round-Up or do the back-breaking job of weeding yourself? I think there are a lot of moral questions when it comes to gardening! Happy growing, Hannah :)
ReplyDeleteRebecca, I also like the way you talk about the (ideal!) shop assistant personality, taking pride in being able to help out. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Sometimes I view shop assistants as people I just have to get through to find something. Thanks for the insight, Hannah.
ReplyDelete